31 March 2009

Miscela Identity initial sketches/materials




I went to Anchor Paper on Friday and picked up a bunch of paper samples and browsed the aisles for over an hour! If you haven't been there, definitely check it out! The staff there are amazingly helpful too.

I have focused the target of my identity system to be NEW members of the Miscela Restaurant Coop. The identity system will include a business card to be distributed via mail/or in the restaurant. It will also include a letterhead with a member card attachment at the bottom that will be perforated (Anchor Paper has a perforator blade!) so that members can take their member card and put it in their wallet. Additionally, Miscela's identity will include a container to hold all of this information. Currently I am working on the structural framework. I found tags at Anchor Paper too that I thought would be a subtle detail to add to the container. The problem that I found at Anchor Paper with their paper is that if you want to get a 11"x17" sheet of paper, it will cost $10 for the first cut (and this only works if they have the "parent" paper in stock)! Does anyone have any other great sources for paper??

I'm unsure about ordering plates for the letter press, because I am not sure how to implement the production portion of the assignment. I think I would use the letter press for Miscela's entire identity. I'm not sure how big the plates would need to be.

I looked into getting a stamp made. For a stamp that is 4"x1" it would be $21 at Anchor Paper.

Anyway, I really want the identity of Miscela to wow you all. That is the goal.

2 comments:

  1. It's good to see you really working through the concept of a communications system, including the tools and materials you will need for execution. The focus on craft seems to be important and relevant for your identity, but I'm still not convinced of the format of your materials. The box in particular feels a bit heavy and unnecessary. What is the need for a flat sheet of paper in a box? What other form would be more related to Miscela's identity? The emotional quality of the company? Would it take the form of a book that tells a story and includes the member materials? Does it give a brief narrative of the background of the coop and then include a 'thank you' in the form of "what our members mean to Miscela?" story? The form + format need to be intimately bound to the identity, and just as purposeful as your logo or any other identity element. Manage to do that, and you *will* wow us all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, I'm really digging the menu with the snail poking art. It becomes really playful and works extremely well with the style of the restaurant. Also the die cut is a nice touch and mirrors the soft curves of the snail, and other accents of your work. Wondering if you have come up with a color palette, I know you had a vibrant red before, and was curious if you had other colors you were going to use also?

    ReplyDelete